Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Thoughts of the Week



I have just completed my first week of class and already have learned much more than I expected.  I have learned how to tweet and how to set up a blog, which were both completely foreign concepts to me before.  Hopefully by the end of Maymester, I will have learned some of the finer points of writing a blog post.  I have also learned how helpful and fun it is to have contacts in both public and academic libraries.  Through tweets and mile-long discussion threads, I have read a variety of different opinions and experiences courtesy of my classmates.  Already, I have dozens of ideas for future library displays and crafts, library Twitter accounts, and new methods of handling the more bizarre patron interactions.  This just from viewing a few pictures on Twitter and reading madly to keep up with discussion assignments.

I was more than a little nervous about taking my first Maymester during a month that is already hectic with Summer Reading Program preparations, but so far the pace seems to agree with me.  That mild state of constant panic over due dates keeps me from procrastinating and the friendliness and thoughtfulness of my classmates keeps me interested.


One week down, two more to go!


*Image from http://secondchancetodream.com

6 comments:

  1. Your blog posts are great, Melissa! Don't get discouraged :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sweet of you to say! I've never done anything like this before (I don't even keep a journal), so it's a lot to get used to all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "That mild state of constant panic over due dates keeps me from procrastinating."

    Ain't that the truth!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true! I'm a terrible procrastinator. I tell myself that this time I will start researching and writing a paper a week before it is due, but I always end up waiting until a day or two before. I think it is the adrenaline that fuels my writing.

      Delete
  4. Love your countdown calendar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My wall calendar is a lot messier because I wrote in all of our class due dates on it. It keeps me going, though.

      Delete