Sunday, May 31, 2015

Thoughts of the Week, Part 2

I Could Really Use a Nap




I never thought I could read so much in three weeks.  The phrase “information overload” has taken on a whole new meaning for me… and I am already considering taking another Maymester class next year.  Maybe it is all of the new technology we are covering in class.  I have always stayed away from social media because I do not see the point, but I kind of like watching my Twitter feed.  I liked wrestling with Joomla and creating something that looked like an honest-to-goodness website.  Now, I am waiting for my Assignment 3 interviewee to email me about the questions I sent him.  All of this in less than a month.

Meanwhile, I have also spent the past month preparing for the chaos that descends upon the library every summer.  We call it the Summer Reading Program.  Every moment not spent reading articles for class has been spent drawing and painting and preparing for a Superhero Story Time.  My coworker, a brave volunteer, and I finally finished decorating the library yesterday and now we are ready to kick things off tomorrow.  I know it is going to be a blast.  Librarians, library assistants, and library volunteers really are superheroes!

And I could really use a nap…

Here's a peak at what we've been working on for the past two months.

Level 1: Read 10 books or 5 hours.

Become a Sidekick by reading 20 books or 10 hours!
Level 2: Read 20 books or 10 hours.

This is my favorite wall.
This is my favorite wall.

Lessons learned: Nothing sticks to brick.  And glue dots don't stick to butcher paper.
Lesson Learned: Nothing sticks to brick.
And glue dots don't stick to butcher paper.
We ran out of walls, so this one is behind the desk.
We ran out of walls.
This one is behind the desk.


6 comments:

  1. I love your displays! I kind of wish academic libraries had summer reading programs haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing nothing about academic libraries, I imagine your programs are quite different from a public library's. I remember reading something about one academic library that hosted a genealogy night lock-in where people could come to the library after hours and spend time in the genealogy room. And trust me, not having a summer reading program really helps to preserve one's sanity. :)

      Delete
  2. I do miss the "fun" displays and the Summer Reading Program (sometimes). I think we are all with you on the "need a nap" bit. I know I have been running non-stop for what seems like forever, but not quiet a month. I am very grateful that my boss has not commented on my work productivity. Also, great calendar image. Five more days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think time has slowed down, with all we have had to do. I was blindsided when I looked at my calendar and saw that we have less than a week left.

      Delete
  3. Awesome displays Melissa! I know what you mean about the information overload. I think a good "head clearing" nap would be just the ticket but unfortunately I don't think I'll be getting much sleep until after the 5th anyway. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bradley! My library's SRP begins tomorrow and I'm basically running on adrenaline now. Good luck to you, too, and hopefully we'll all get that nap eventually.

      Delete